Thursday 30 July 2015

4 Reasons Why You Should Not Get a Dog


Have you ever dreamt of getting a dog of your own? I know how seductive they are, how adorable and cute they are, which totally make the cut to be the perfect companion, or an 'accessory' to some! Corresponding to your own preference, there are so much that you could pick, big or small, be it a golden retreiver, chow chow, jack russel, to a cute lil yorkie, pomeranian, shih tzu and so on.

In my case, my family has owned countless dogs since I remember, many ended up pretty tragic, and it's truly heartbreaking. Reason being? They weren't given the love and care that should have been given. Who should be blamed? Children who kept persuading parents to get us pets, but ended up neglecting them because of the lack of commitment and responsibility?
Well, let bygones be bygones and I'm not here to be all sour and dig up the past, but I'm genuinely here to send out awareness to anyone considering to get a dog.

It is really not as simple as it seems, there are so much sacrifices to make, commitment, time, patience, money, and the list goes on. But is it worth it? From a dog lover here myself, YES, it is worth every penny, every cent that I have. TAKE ALL MY MONEY! (haha jk dont take all my money please) But that is my own take, and for all the dog lovers out there, you will definitely understand how I feel. But on the other hand, I have friends who love playing and looking at them, but sincerely do not have the compassion to take care of them. And that is fair enough, don't get a dog if you don't have that compassion, and that is being responsible!


Most of you would already know that I now have a female pomeranian, named Bambee, and she puts a smile on my face everyday! But I could proudly say that I seriously do love and care for her with all my heart.




Owning a dog takes many considerations. Here I list down 4 serious considerations before thinking of owning a dog, lets go!

1) TIME


Do you have the time to take care of your little one? Honestly, they are not just a pet to play with when you're free. Remember, we all have our lives, our work and our own entertainment, but this little one only have us. What is your pet going to do when you have work from 8am-6pm, and then when you are out with your friends? Unless you have a caretaker or family to take care of it when you are not around, please, do you really have the heart to leave it alone, waiting for you most of the time?
Well for me, I have the privilege to work at home as I don't have a 9-5 job, and it is really a joy to wake up every morning to an exciting lil dog, looking forward to a brand new day with me.
But if I have a 9-5 job, will I get a dog? Probably not. It just saddens me imagining my dog alone most of the time. Now, I really can't imagine leaving my dog alone for almost the whole day in a regular basis. We even try to only dine in at pet friendly restaurants just so that we wouldn't need to leave it at home alone. (ok, i might be super 'over', lol, but I hope you get the message, and that is how much I love my puppy, sincerely!)

And I found this article and video that is heart wrenching, hopefully you could get this message:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396570/Pets-depressed-left-home-day-working-owners.html


2) PATIENCE




Although obviously I'm not a mum yet lol, but having a puppy really gives me the 'feels' of being a mum. I'm just imagining how a mum feels when she first hears her baby call her 'mum', the first time the baby walks, or go to school for instance. It would probably be emotional, in a good way. Just like having Bambee, the joy I felt when I could train her to 'sit', 'hand', or when I succeeded potty training her, it felt great! BUT, it takes alot of patience, alot of love and care.
So, do you have the patience? It is not a one-time training, but the patience to give her the attention, love and care as long as it lives. Probably you would be frustrated in it when it is naughty, it bites your favourite things, mess up your things, or maybe, sometimes, you have a bad day, would you let it out on it and neglect it?
But for me, I try my best to give Bambee the most attention within my means, and when she loves me back by cuddling me next to me, bringing her toy to me just so that I can play with her, or just following me wherever I go in the house, it just worths the whole world!




3) MONEY





Most of us forget how much it costs to own a dog. Going to the vet is sometimes more expensive than me going to the clinic! Same goes to their shampoo, food, snacks, pee pads etc. You probably wouldn't know how costly they are until you step into a pet shop to have a good look. And worrying about what they can consume and not, their allergies, so on and so forth...

4) LOVE AND ATTACHMENT





And all of a sudden, I'm just so emotionally attached to this lil thing that I have. And that's the way it should be if you have a pet. They are probably more loyal and more loving than you know, and honestly, I feel they deserve all the love in the world, and the love they shower us with - priceless.
Bambee becomes part of me, my family.

And all of a sudden, I'm worried about her if I leave her alone at home, worried if she's healthy, worried if she licked something toxic in the house that is deadly to her, worried about so many things!! 





So are you ready to take care of a dog? Are you ready to take the responsibility to sacrifice your time and commitments to give love to this little miracle? If you aren't ready, please don't!!!
But if you think you pass all the above, be ready to get loads of joy, love from it!

And not forgetting, different breeds have different personalities and characters, so they all have different temperament as well! Research well before you get one, and never take it for granted!


Here, I made a video of Bambee, my lil puppy. She is the most adorable lil thing to me! <3 You can see her mannerisms and the tricks that I've taught her from the video. Enjoy! xx




Dogs are man's best friends for a reason <3

xx




4 comments:

  1. seen in jinnyboy haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Alicia, I love your blog about why you should not get a dog. I couldn't agree more with you on this topic, and I'm so glad that people like you are getting the message out to the world, that owning a dog is only for those people who are prepared to fulfill all the needs of a dog .... which you have so articulately and thoroughly set out in your blog. Unfortunately, too many people get a dog for the wrong reasons.... they love the "idea" of having a dog, but not the reality of it. A dog sitting in a backyard, who never gets walked and exercised on a daily basis, or invited into the family home, is not a pet, but a prisoner ! It makes me so angry to know that there are thousands of dogs who are living sad and empty lives as prisoners. Keep up the good work Alicia. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our dogs are some of the luckiest dogs ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear, I came across your blog and I enjoyed reading your amazing stories. Interested to collaborate? Email me at nurul.aini@my.zalora.com I couldn't find your email so I am leaving a comment to u. Hope to hear soon. Thanks! Ps: this is NOT a spam yah haha :)

    ReplyDelete